Iron & Wine's Sam Beam and Band of Horses' Ben Bridwell Join Forces for Covers Album
Published Apr 02, 2015Iron & Wine only just released his Archive Series Volume No. 1, and now now songwriter Sam Beam has confirmed his next release: a collaborative covers album with Ben Bridwell of Band of Horses.
The collection is called Sing into Your Mouth, and it will be out this summer through Black Cricket Recording Co./Brown Records/Caroline International. The exact release date has yet to be confirmed.
None of the covers are too predictable, as Beam and Bridwell mostly avoid big hits. Artists they cover here include Talking Heads, Sade, John Cale, JJ Cale, Spiritualized, Bonnie Raitt, Peter Seeger and more. The 12 songs were recorded at Echo Mountain Studios in Asheville, NC.
"Ben and I started our careers together and had been threatening to work with one another for years," Beam said in a statement. "When we finally conceived of the covers project and carved out some time, it was nostalgic and fun from top to bottom — the process of picking the songs to cover was really reminiscent of more than 15 years ago when we used to mail each other cassettes and CDs of music we were into — and the end of every recording day found us cutting up with friends the way we used to when we'd cross paths in South Carolina. He's always been one of the funniest people I know."
No music from the album has been released as of yet. See the tracklist below, and stay tuned for an exact release date to be confirmed.
Sing Into Your Mouth:
1. This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) (Talking Heads)
2. Done This One Before (Ronnie Lane)
3. Any Day Woman (Bonnie Raitt)
4. You Know Me More Than I Know (John Cale)
5. Bulletproof Soul (Sade)
6. There's No Way Out of Here (Unicorn)
7. God Knows (You Gotta Give to Get) (El Perro del Mar)
8. The Straight and Narrow (Spiritualized)
9. Magnolia (JJ Cale)
10. Am I a Good Man? (Them Two)
11. Ab's Song (Marshall Tucker Band)
12. Coyote, My Little Brother (Pete Seeger)